
Distance
If I made this picture the hearts would go from Anchorage to Kent, to Layton, to Rexburg
First of all, I know that it is completely my choice where I live and what I do with my life. I know that I have made the decision to live in Anchorage, Alaska. I know that I'm going to sound whiny.
Distance and I have always had a relationship. We are the quintessential on-again-off-again couple. I had so many friends and boyfriends move away when I was growing up. Long-distance was my thing. Before I was married I was in 3 long-distance relationships. You would think I was actually trying to find a relationship. The first two times it didn't work. And we both summed it up to distance. But you know what they say.... third time is a charm.
When Mark and I started dating there was no reason for it not to work. We lived in the same town. We hung out with the same group of people. It was all great. Then he lost his job. Then his sister moved to Alaska. Then he decided to move to Alaska. As I sat on the curb after he drove away I thought "Here I go again... another long-distance relationship. Another relationship spent on the phone." As he began his journey up to Alaska I really wasn't sure if we were going to stay together or not.
When he finally arrived in Alaska I received one of the first of our long-distance calls. He called to tell me that he arrived safely and that he was able to do a lot do a lot of thinking. I braced myself for the blow. But instead I got some of the sweetest words I have ever heard. He told me that he didn't realize how much he missed me and wanted to be with me until he left. So that is one of distance's only perk; it can make the heart grow fonder.
Now I am once again I have put myself in a spot where I am constantly missing people that I love and are far from me. Thank goodness I have Mark by my side. But sometimes a girl just needs her family.
I miss hanging out at my parents house and playing wii and talking around the dinner table. I miss going over to Shannon and Jer's and seeing Paisley and Delaynie get huge smiles when they see me through the sliding glass window.
A couple of weeks ago I was having a really bad day. Mark got home from work and I was not feeling well and I just wanted my mom. I lied on the floor of our living room and couldn't stop crying. Mark held me and tried to console me but I just wasn't having it. I kept thinking I should call her right then but I knew I needed to be a big girl. For heaven's sake, I am married! That wouldn't have been the first time I called and through sobbs told her I missed her and dad and wanted to be home. I guess this is growing up. Being on your own with your husband. Missing your family but trying to build up the one you have.
For now we are saving our pennies and hoping to buy flights to Seattle for the 4th of July. Until then I am going to research ways to teleport and apparate. You would think we would be able to do in this day and age...
No comments:
Post a Comment