April 6, 2011

Day 16- A picture of someone who inspires you




Shannon Hailey Graves Jex

This woman is amazing and inspires me for a number of reasons. But first let's take a trip down memory lane...

Remember that video I talked about when I posted about my sister Kami? Well, Shannon was in that video as well. Shannon was a sprite 7 1/2 year old. She sang as well... it's was that awesome 80's song "Doctor, doctor give me some news! I got a bad case of lovin' you!" She loved me just as much and held me a ton. Like I said before I was like a real live doll for my sisters.

The age difference between Shannon and I played a huge part in our friendship. When we were growing up we all shared a room. Kami and I were in one room and Jordan and Shannon were in another until 1998. I spent a lot of time with Kami and Jordan. Shannon and I weren't very close. When we moved, Jordan and I moved into one room and Kami and Shannon got their own rooms. I was almost 10 and Shannon was 17 and social. I don't remember her being home a lot. When my parents would go out and Shannon would babysit she and I would get in a lot of fights. I remember telling her that I hated her on more than one occasion. I really wish I never said it.

Shannon was the first to move out and go to college. I cried after she left because I really was going to miss her. She came home from college and started working at a dental office (or maybe it was Old Navy?) close to our house when I was 14 or 15. I was an overly emotional, self-absorbed teenager and kind of avoided her. I wish I wouldn't have done that either.

Shannon got married in 2005 to Jeremiah Jex.. I really, really like Jer. Shannon was working a lot before they got married. One day Jer called me up and asked me if Jordan and I wanted to go shopping with him. We said sure and he came and picked us up. Driving to Southcenter I felt like I was living a dream. I always wanted an older brother and it felt exactly like that. Jordan and I were so excited to have that. It's kind of silly but we needed that. Jer has also been willing to beat guys that have hurt me, which is exactly what I wanted in a brother :)

Back to Shannon... I started going over to Shannon's a lot. It was a nice escape from home and it was fascinating to be around her. I loved watching how she managed her home and what she did with her day. I was dreaming of growing up and marrying a guy and moving into our own place. And here was my sister doing exactly that! I loved who Shannon was after she married Jer. I loved hanging out with them.

Shannon was there for me after a huge break up. She let me lie in her bed and cry for a couple hours. Then she and Jordan dragged me out of bed and took me to see "Benchwarmers" Which is a stupidly funny movie that did make a laugh despite how I was feeling. She would talk to me and help me understand what I was feeling. I felt like she and I were finally connecting.

I graduated high school and moved to Rexburg. Then I moved back home and things were going great. All my sister were home! I then went to Central and that year Shannon found out she was pregnant with Paisley. Once again I was watching Shannon live one of my dreams! She was going to be a mom. I was so excited for her and for me to be an aunt. I wanted to be there however I could. I got to go to the hospital with her. I got to french braid her hair right before she started pushing. I got to hold her leg while she pushed with all her might. That was when I felt truly inspired by my sister. I was watching her go through so much pain for her little girl. She was trying so hard! I can't explain the feelings I had when I was holding her leg but I have never felt so happy and pleased with my sister. After all that pushing she ended up having to get a c-section.

An hour later, they rolled in Miss Paisley. She was the most beautiful baby with big lips and a sweet smile. Shan brought her to our house when they got released from the hospital. It was so fun to see her be a mom. It was so inspiring! I kept thinking to myself "One day I can do this. Shannon is doing it."

About a year in a half ago Shannon had to go through some of the hardest trials of her life. Delaynie was having some heart problems and it was a constant concern of if she was going to be okay, if she was going to deliver too early, if she would have problems throughout her entire life. Shannon had to go to four or five doctor's appointments a week. She did it while toting around a 1 1/2 year old! She was so strong through it all. She just wanted her baby to be okay. Shannon was strong when I know would be a puddle on the floor. She looked forward and pushed through it. And if you see Delaynie today you would have no idea that she had any problems at all. She is a walking, talking, happy, One week away from being, One-year-old.

Shannon inspires me because she is my example. She has shown me the way. I saw her walk into the temple to get married when I was 16. I knew I needed to make that a goal in my life. That was one of the greatest examples she could give me.

Shannon inspires me because of how great of a mother she is. I have never seen a mother who loves her babies like Shannon loves her's. She wants them to grow up to be healthy, smart, girls. She is so inspiring to watch. She teaches them all throughout the day. Paisley could do signs before she was one! Delaynie has started to sign as well! Paisley is one of the smartest two-year-olds I know. Maybe too much for her own good :) It's all because of Shannon.

Shannon is also always willing to talk to me. The thing I love about our conversations is that I know I can ask her anything or tell her anything and she won't judge me and she will be 100% honest with me. I miss hanging out at her house with her so much! I loved hanging out with her little family. It was the best feeling to be in a house filled with such love.

When I grow up, I hope I'm half the mom Shannon is because I know my children will grow up right if I follow her example.

No comments:

Post a Comment