The Seattle temple, the morning I was married
I have always had a deep love for temples. I loved looking at them. I loved being near them. I would sit outside and dream about going in one day.
I knew that it would happen. I knew it would because I was going to be sure it would happen. I made a promise to myself very early in my youth that I would do everything in my power to make sure that I could go into the temple one day. That promise was always in the back of my head. I believe that I made a lot of good choices because my mind was already made up.
When I was in college and the opportunity to go to the temple was closer at hand I became much more serious about it. I was honest with the boys I dated and told them that if they wanted to seriously date, I needed to know that they would be willing to take me to the temple one day. I ended a few relationships because they could not keep that promise.
Early in Mark and my relationship we talked about the temple. We talked about our individual thoughts and feelings. We talked about how we both had a goal to be married in the temple one day, whether or not it was to each other. As our relationship grew and marriage became an option I flat out told him "the only way I will marry you is if it in the temple" and Mark simply replied "of course". I love that it was decided so simply and without hesitation.
After a ten-month engagement, Mark took me to the temple. We received our endowments together. That experience completely changed me. Everything fell into place.
The next morning we went to the temple to be sealed. When I walked into the room I felt an overwhelming feeling of love from everyone in the room. Especially from the man next to me.
Mark and I are so blessed to live 5 miles away from a temple. Before we were married we talked about the temple and made a goal to go at least once a month. So far in our 2 1/2 months of marriage, we have been successful. We did endowments the first month and sealings the second. I hope that we can continue this throughout our lives.
I love going to the temple with Mark. I love the feeling of peace I feel within it's walls. I love the huge chandelier in the celestial room of the Anchorage temple. When President Hinckley dedicated the temple he said he wanted the people of Alaska to have light in the darkness. He hoped the chandelier would help bring light in the dark, cold winter months. I love sitting in the room and marveling at the beauty of it and thinking about the temple.
The last time I was there I thought a lot about the people we were doing the work for. I thought about those people who lived hundreds of years ago who have been waiting to be sealed to their spouse. I had an overwhelming feeling of joy for them. I felt so blessed to be able to participate in such a brilliant endeavor.
The work is not finished. There are hundreds, of thousands, of millions of people who still have work to be done; baptisms, endowment, initiatories, sealings. If you can go to the temple, GO! If you can't, do everything you can to get there. It is worth it. It is worth it for the feelings you get when you are in the temple; for the closeness you feel to the Savior and to your Heavenly Father who loves you.
Here is a link if you just want to look at all the pretties :)
No comments:
Post a Comment