
I'm going to guess that I was 3 in this picture. Backwards sandals, seattle shirt, awesome 80's pants. I wish I had that shirt in my size now. I would totally wear it today.
As a child I was quite a handful. I was born early with a heart murmur and a hole in my heart. I weighed in at a hefty 5 lbs, 13 oz. From what my mom said I was fine as an infant but when I became a toddler/kid I was T-R-O-U-L-B-E.
I was diagnosed with asthma very young in my life and had to be on a nebulizer twice a day for 20 minutes. A nebulizer is a machine that infused liquid medicine into air through a tube and then to your face by means of a mask or ...for lack of better name... pipe. As a 3 or 4 year old, I of course chose the pipe. The only way to get me to sit still was to sit me in front of the tv and turn on Peter Pan. I would sit on the couch, reclined, with one of my legs crossed over each other, takin' to my pipe like a 30 year old "pretty woman" . What a lovely sight to see.
I also had a lot of allergies. My mom took me to the doctor to get tested for what allergies I had. The doctor then proceeded to do the most frightening and traumatic procedure I've ever had done to me in my life. I remember this vividly. He began writing on my back with a marker. I thought it kind of tickled and thought "This is kind of fun! This big man is writing on me with a marker, so that makes it okay for me to write on myself... or Jordan..." Then he proceeded to stick me with a needle in every black "x" he drew. I can't remember the exact number and every time I ask my mom, it changes, but it was about 70. 70 SHOTS. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I naturally began screaming because I thought I was being murdered by this doctor. My mom felt horrible and like she was putting me through torture (it actuality, it was torture) and had to leave the room. After the doctor was done putting 70 holes in my tiny back we were told to go home and come back the next day. The shots were little samples of common allergies, they would know if I was allergic, if the area around that "x" was red, or blotchy, or had hives. We learned that I am allergic to cat hair, rabbit hair, 5 types of grass, and pistachios.
Ironically, we got a cat when I was 11. "So what if Kellie is allergic.. she can stay in her room while the cat roams the house!". I must have assimilated to having cat hair around me all the time because I never had a problem. But I DID when I moved to college. Two of my roommates got kittens and those cats were my kryptonite. Luckily I lived in the garage and the cats were not allowed in there. If I was in the house for too long (how ridiculous is that) my eyes would begin to water and itch like crazy. In fact, now anytime I go to Krista's I have the same issue.
I am no longer allergic to pistachios. When I was 5 or 6 I ate some and broke out in hives. That happened a few more time and then I got smart and stopped eating them. When I was 19 I was home from school for Christmas and we always have pistachios around Christmas. My dad, mom, and I were in the kitchen chatting and eating pistachios (not me). I said "I wonder if I'm still allergic..." My dad said to try one. I warned him about what happened before. He said "We don't have a lot to do today. We could go to the hospital..." I said "Well in that case! here I go...." After about 20 minutes I finally tried one. I forgot how delicious they were. I waited an hour and nothing. Then I ate a handful and nothing. So I'm cured! yay!
As for grass, I have no idea which types. I had an allergic reaction of some sort in Florida and I broke out in hives in Utah after rolling down a hill by the MTC. I then sat through dinner on Benadryl and had to be escorted to the place we were staying by Mark and Corey like a drunk sorority girl. Classy.
One more story from my little time period. I was a very eccentric and exuberant child. I often embarrassed by parents and sisters. One day the home teachers came over. We were in the living room and I was running around in circles, as per usual (I want to say usgh but that doesn't look right). I then decided to show the home teacher how I could do a somersault. I was wearing a dress..... and no underwear...... AWKWARD!
Have a lovely day :)
No comments:
Post a Comment